Drill of the Month: January 2024
DRILL OF THE MONTH: U7, U9, U11, & U13 Deception Sequences
- Under-7, U9, U11, U13
Skill Description – U7, U9 Progression
- Players line-up on the goal line, with a pylon at the top of the faceoff circle.
- First player in line skates up to the pylon and performs a basic deception move.
- For the younger age groups, the focus is on faking going one direction, and then quickly going the other way.
- Player will return to line afterwards.
Skill Description – U11, U13 Progression
- Players at these age groups can start with the iteration of the drill listed above.
- After a few reps, add a puck for the older players.
Key Teaching Points
- At the younger age groups, introducing deceptive skating
- Selling the fake by using head, shoulders and stick.
- Using stick to sell the puck going in a different direction.
- Doing the deception moves at game speed.
About the Hockey Canada Network App
- Hundreds of coach skill video demonstrations.
- Hockey Canada Skills Manuals, and Weekly Practice Plans including for each age level.
- Over 1,500 drills each including a drill diagram, video demonstration, skill description, key teaching points, and a Team Canada game clip highlighting how each skill is used in a game.
- GTHL coaches can use the promo code HCCERT2023 when creating an account to save 50% on an annual premium subscription for the Hockey Canada Network App!
- Upon expiry of a paid subscription, all subsequent subscriptions are $10 annually for a 1-year renewal.
Download the Hockey Canada Network App