Referee Summer Camp
Canadian School of Hockey Officiating: Referee Summer Camp (“Ref School”)
A comprehensive four-day summer camp for minor hockey officials is conducted each summer by the GTHL’s special training entity, the Canadian School of Hockey Officiating. The goal of the camp is to help attending officials to:
- Improve their officiating knowledge and skills,
- Develop appropriate officiating attitudes and values,
- Expand their awareness of conditioning/fitness programs and nutrition,
- Obtain official certification or re-certify as a Hockey Canada Officiating Program referee, and
- Physically and mentally prepare for the upcoming minor hockey season.
Curriculum support is provided by the GTHL Officiating Development Committee.
Referee Summer Camp is suitable for all individuals 15 years of age or older by the end of the calendar year. Participants from the USA and other countries are eligible and welcome to attend.
The Referee Summer Camp runs August 22 through to August 25. Within the week, programs vary in length with some two or three days in duration, while others run for all four days.
To register and see more information about the programs offered at the camp, click on the program title below:
- Quick Start: A program for persons with no hockey referee experience or training;
- Junior Development: A program for youth who are entering their 2nd or 3rd year as a referee;
- Becoming an Elite Official: A program for officials with several years of experience who are looking to take their game to the next level;
- Experienced Official Refresher: A program for senior officials who want to prepare for the season by participating in a recertification program that is slightly more comprehensive than the standard HCOP recertification clinic.
Each of these programs involves classroom work and on-ice training sessions. Expert instruction, supervision and mentoring for the participants is provided by experienced National Hockey League officials and certified Hockey Canada referees and instructors from the Ontario Hockey Federation.